5 Unpopular Opinions That Will Simplify Your Life

5 Unpopular Opinions That Will Simplify Your Life

We are so quick to dismiss unpopular opinions but what if we gave them a chance? What if we thought about them differently, refusing to believe everything we think or everything we think we are supposed to think? My simplicity journey has challenged everything I think and because of that I’ve been able to change my life in many different ways.

Embracing all of these unpopular opinions simplified my life and changed it in a positive way, not all at once or overnight but slowly, gently and when I was ready. Now they are such a regular part of my life, I can’t imagine doing it any other way. Once you’ve given these ideas a look, consider other ideas you’ve shut down for fear of what others might think or because they sound weird or unconventional.

1. You can wash all your clothes together.

Laundry is just one of those things that is not going to get extra time and energy from me. With the exception of a very rare case of a brand new pink or red shirt, you can wash all of your clothes together without taking time to separate whites and darks, towels and shirts, etc. See how bright my whites are even though I wash everything together? Because my wardrobe is small, I can’t wait around for an adequate amount of whites or darks. I wash everything together in cold water and line dry items so they don’t get worn out in the dryer. I go into more detail on this podcast episode. Laundry is often an example of where we make our lives harder and more stressful when we don’t need to. P.S. Don’t ask me about the last time I picked up an iron.

4. Variety is not the spice of life.

Maybe variety isn’t the spice of life. If you want to experience decision fatigue, head into the grocery store without a list and shop for the week. Walk down the cereal aisle. There are more than 20 different kinds of Cheerios and who knows about how many other cereal choices live in that aisle (and that’s only one small section of endless options). That’s exhausting.  

 

The paradox of choice

We are fortunate to have the freedom to choose, but according to Barry Schwartz, author of The Paradox of Choice: Why More Is Less, we aren’t happier because of it. Schwartz says, “When people have no choice, life is almost unbearable. As the number of available choices increases, as it has in our consumer culture, the autonomy, control, and liberation this variety brings are powerful and positive. But as the number of choices keeps growing, negative aspects of having a multitude of options begin to appear. As the number of choices grows further, the negatives escalate until we become overloaded. At this point, choice no longer liberates, but debilitates.”

I have the same few meals over and over again, I wear the same 33 items for at least 3 months and I enjoy routine. I don’t need something new to enjoy my life or to rescue me from boredom, frustration or from feeling other feelings anymore. Choosing from fewer options (in general) means no decision fatigue, more clarity and for me, much more creativity too. When we create boundaries around things that are distracting us from what really matters, our level of engagement in the things we actually care about becomes boundless.

5. You don’t have to work so hard to have a good life.

I worked really hard to have a good life, so hard that I wore myself out over and over again. Finally in 2006, after being diagnosed with multiple sclerosis, I decided that the old way of pushing through, nose to the grindstone, earning rest and going big or going home wasn’t working. We didn’t become happier, more fulfilled and connected by working hard, playing hard, going above and beyond and pushing through. Instead we ended up depleted, uninspired, sick, tired, and overwhelmed.

These unpopular opinions are working well in my life. They are opinions of course, so they might not work well for you, or maybe the timing is bad. That said, if you noticed a strong, “No! Never!” reaction, check in. Usually when I have strong resistance to something, I know it’s often worth exploring. After all, I don’t know what I don’t know. My life is better because I revisited these unpopular opinions that I used to have a strong negative reaction to. We are allowed to change our minds and take care of ourselves in different ways. It’s how we learn, grow and find our true self.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lake Action

Spent the day on Lanier… courtesy of a super nice friend with not one, but two boats to entertain us!